Pages

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Guerrilla News Speaks Out.

I feel as though I can easily relate to Chris' article "Department of Education Stands Up to Bullies", because my original commentary was similar. I spoke about Clint McCance, former Little Rock, Arkansas school board member, who recently resigned after posting anti-gay remarks on his personal Facebook page. I'm curious if his reference to the five suicidal teenagers is the same situation. Regarless, bullying in school really is a serious issue that should not be taken lightly. It is such a relief to know that it is finally being recognized as a PROBLEM and not being "swept under the rug", as he said.

Here are some statistics I found: 
  • 23 per cent of elementary students reported being bullied one to three times in the last month. 
  • Half of all bullying incidents go unreported.
  • 100,000 students carry a gun to school. 
  • 77% of the students said they had been bullied. And 14% of those who were bullied said they experienced severe (bad) reactions to the abuse
These numbers and facts are truly troubling. I was never a direct victim of bullying nor did I bully anyone, yet I did see how harsh some students could be to others. I agree with Chris and believe that DoE is doing a positive thing by attempting to minimize bullying throughout the school system, I just hope their efforts are effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment